Two and Half Hours and Ten Bucks Later...

So, I finally did it. I ponied up the $10, blocked out a chunk of my day, and braved the masses to finally see The Hunger Games. And now I'm going to attempt to express my opinion without insulting the 5 billion people who saw it and loved it (you know, since I'm all about protecting feelings when it comes to topics like this). Before I start, just know that I wasn't in love with the series; yes, it's fine for the YA genre, but it's not quality literature and got progressively worse as the trilogy continued. Also know that I'm not really a big movie-watcher, so two and a half hours proved to be quite tiring. 

Adaptation
I thought the adaptation, as far as turning a longer book into a movie was decent. I didn't love the change involving the mockingjay pin, but I think as a whole there was nothing I really had a serious problem with. Being a plot-driven book, it really couldn't have been much of a challenge. I think if I hadn't read the books a few parts they glossed over (like her father's death) may have been a little confusing, but for the most part I had no complaints in the book to movie translation.


But...
I did feel like Gayle was pretty over-looked in this movie, which is unfortunate because I think his character may have been my favorite. Yes, yes, I know everyone is "Team Peeta," but I'm not really a fan of the squeaky-clean, boy-next-door romance story. He actually had some depth, compared to some of the other whiners.

Melodrama
This was definitely a movie geared towards pulling at the heartstrings of teens, as it was quite melodramatic at times (that one part where Peeta and Katniss embrace after they were worried each were dead and she says, "Dammit, I thought you were dead" made me laugh on the inside). There were a lot of long, drawn out shots, dramatic music, and intense stares. 

So Pretty
The set design and costumes were great- for me, the highlight of the movie. I thought the juxtaposition between the Capitol's employees in District 12 was well-done, and I loved Katniss' outfits. It'll be interesting to see how the other arenas are done in later movies.

The Acting
First of all, I think Jennifer Lawrence is a good actress (I did actually sit through, and like, Winter's Bone), but I think that the acting can only be as good as the material given... Peeta and Gayle were both a little flat, but I did think Haymtich, played by Woody Harrelson was  probably my favorite.  Lenny Kravitz' persona and style as a singer were a good match for Cinna, but I thought the execution fell short of what I imagined the portrayal to be.

The Verdict
Again, I know I'm defying the popular opinion, but I just didn't love it and think that it's probably a bit overrated, for the amount it made and the hype that was created. Partially because of my feelings towards the book, partially because I'm horrible at sitting through movies, and partially because of the actual film. I don't think it was horrible, it just wasn't something I walked away raving about. I probably won't see the next two in the theaters, but will wait it out until they're on Netflix or available to rent.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you pretty much on all of these aspects. I enjoyed the movie, but I knew what I was getting into. I also agree that the books got worse as they went on. I didn't really like Mockingjay.

    Another issue I had with the BOOKS is that I really couldn't choose a "team" of which boy I thought she should be with. I just felt sort of "meh" about both of them.

    I agree that the movie barely even put any time into the Katniss/Gale relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with most of what you said, except about Gayle. Ugh, he is the worst character I've ever read in a book, rivalled only by Jacob in Twilight. He's so whiny and obnoxious and never seems to be a decent guy when he's around Katniss. Haha, I seem to be one of the few people who really dislike him, but I guess it's because I'm a 24y-o reading a YA book...

    I really enjoyed watching the film and reading the book, but they're no Harry Potter... I won't be obsessively waiting for future movies, merch or interview with the actors. I'll still see the new ones in the cinema, but I won't be braving opening nights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently watched this movie too. I also read the book before watching it. I enjoyed Jennifer Lawrence. The movie was pretty good. I don't understand why it made so much money either except that there is nothing exciting playing in movie theater lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is refreshing to read. I liked the first book but lost interest with the other two. I was actually Team Finnick. Peeta and Gayle were both so wishy-washy in their own ways.

    But I saw the movie in India. So few American movies are shown here that I felt drawn to participate in something American. Going in with low expectations I was able to find the movie enjoyable. I wish they had done more with Cinna and I really liked Haymitch. The parts they cut or changed for the movie adaptation were fine with me. What annoyed more than anything else was that the Indian audience found the film hilarious. While I had a few eye roll moments at bad dialogue, India seems to think it's a slapstick comedy which made it difficult to really lose myself in the movie.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS