Top Ten Tuesday- Best of the Best

The blog these days has been a bit, well, lackluster on my part. Top Ten Tuesdays (they're fun, but they require very little effort from me), Books on Your Back posts, and the occasional school-related story... This whole "going back to work thing" is really cramping my style. Umm, and on that note, another Top Ten Tuesday brought to you by the Broke and The Bookish, who ask us to recommend the top ten best books from the life of your blog. As difficult as expected (with links to my brief reviews):

1. The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano- Such a simple, sad, but beautiful story. And Giordano is pretty easy on the eyes.

2. The House of Tomorrow by Peter Bognanni- Two very different teen boys become good friends. Oh, and one of them live in a glass dome with his cooky grandma. 

3. The Selected Works of TS Spivet by Reif Larsen- Oh, how I love my TS. Child cartographer's adventure for the Smithsonian. 

4. On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan- So simple, yet powerfully written in McEwan's signature style. Honeymoons aren't always so sexy, let's just say.

5. State of Wonder by Ann Patchett- Doctor goes to the Amazon to find lost colleague while investigating the key to elongate female fertility.

6. Into Thin Air by John Krakauer- Good piece of nonfiction about climbing Mount Everest. 

7. Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn- The mayor of a fictional island takes away the letters his people may use as they fall off a revered statue. 

8. Family Fang by Kevin Wilson- Another one I've mentioned many times- a family of performers is reunited under less-than-desirable circumstances. 

9. The Hottest Dishes of the Tartar Cuisine by Alina Bronsky- Hilarious Russian story about a woman whose teenage daughter gets pregnant (you know, always a laughing matter). 

10. Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer- I of course love him, but given my decision to stop eating meat this book really impacted me.

6 comments:

  1. Great list! Is Chesil Beach your favourite my McEwan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agreed with so many on this list that I felt compelled to add the couple I haven't read to my Amazon wishlist. And I've become a follower. Thank you.

    Here's my Top Ten Favorite Books I've Read During the Lifespan of My Blog.I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome list. There are only two I've read, Into Thin Air and State of Wonder. Pretty much everything else is on my TBR, so I'm happy to hear you thought they were great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, you're a vegetarian? I did not know that, oops.
    The only book on your list I've read (or even heard of for that matter) is "Into Thin Air" - it was quite wonderful. You're such an English teacher when it comes to your favourite books, really unique and not run-of-the-mill at all :)
    I'm definitely going to check out The Solitude of Prime Numbers and House of Tomorrow. They sound lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE The House of Tomorrow and had the pleasure of working alongside Bognanni's mother for a year. I haven't read any of the others, though I've heard of a few. Thanks for the great list! I'll be looking into some of these more.

    Here's Ours

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to give you mad props for finishing Eating Animals. I thought it was great, but I just could not get through it. The slaughterhouse scenes were just so...gah...

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS