An Infestation

By the end of the day today my classroom was totally and completely infested... with Gregors from The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka! For the past two books we've read I've assigned a creative culminating project, allowing the kids to bust out the hot glue and construction paper (better them than me). The practical part of me thinks that this is a slight waste of time, but the part of me that understands kids need to do more than just fill in bubbles and write essays loves it. For this book they were give three choices- write the prequel to the story, psychoanalyze Kafka, or make a replica of Gregor, along with a one page write up. I'd say about half the kids chose to make the bug, and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. Here are a few of my favorites:

The one in the upper left is even more awesome in person.

I hope his mom knows he stole her baskets... And yes, a cake!

The one in the upper right was brought to class via skateboard.

The one in the bottom right was made of an old sweater and soda bottles!

I think what I really love, besides the imagination, is the fact that there are so many interpretations as to what the bug looks like (that is if you believe that Gregor really is a bug). Some of the kids were more on top of the contextual clues, while some chose to ignore the book and our discussions, taking creative license.

And now I have to grade the little suckers so I have counter space again. 

2 comments:

  1. These are fantastic! And I haven't even read the book. So now that high school kids have, I suppose I should up my game and read it too. Especially if it inspires such cuteness!You are SUCH a cool teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paуday loan will bе instant гevenuе fiscal loans that you can get throughout briсks-аnd-mortar facіlities,
    that include local communіty paydaу loan cοrporations, or online.
    Theѕе kind of instant, suіtable
    financіаl prοducts characterіѕtіcally bring а higher interest
    rаtеs than conventional, shoгt-term mortgages via moгtgagе lendеrs οr perhaps credit ѕcoгe unions.
    Meant to assistancе standard moѕt pеoρle exactly liκe you to generate this through рaychеque tο wаges, thesе kіnd of
    financial ρroducts aгe dеsіgned to connect a space that happens woundeԁ pаѕsengers “too а
    lοt оf month towards the end of this
    money”.

    After уou go with a pay daу loan on the net, yοu’ll easy acceѕs quick monieѕ
    of ωhich ԁіrect you towarԁѕ getting together with ones nearly all urgent debts, right fгom thіѕ ease aѕ well aѕ solitude of уour home.
    That’s hοw come lοts of рresent dаy indivіduals aгe
    opting for to gain аccesѕ to the ԁollarѕ them to need to havе vіa the web, anԁ not
    impact a tarmac, in search of very affordable in additiоn
    to good unѕеcured guaгantor
    lοan ѕuppliers wіth their pегsonally оwn community.


    Here is my website; chwilowka przez internet

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS