Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

[source]
1. Hilary Clinton is planning on writing a new memoir about her time as Secretary of State. Can you say "pre-order?"

2. I think bananas are one of the few fruits that no one puts in green salads. Apples, cranberries, strawberries, pears, pineapple... no bananas. As it should be.

3. The LA Times Festival of Books lineup is seriously disappointing. I mean obviously this isn't surprising, considering the venue, but there was maybe only one name on the tentative list that I'd be interested in (Hector Tobar). I guess now they have something in common with Coachella- none of the big boys want to come out and play.

4. I know this sounds selfish, but I think hours spent volunteering should be tax-deductible. I think it would persuade a lot more people to do good (yes I know, is it still "good" if people are being rewarded?) and if you can claim you bag of worthless shit that you drop off a Good-Will why not the time you spend spooning soup or picking up litter on beaches? And on that note, I think gym/yoga/cross-fit dues should also be, considering is basically preventative health-care. Dear Local Representative...

5. Speaking of taxes, and extra money, I firmly believe in the rule of thirds: 1/3 goes into savings, 1/3 goes towards paying off bills earlier, and the remaining 1/3 goes for fun/house purchases. This is just for me, though, my husband and I keep all money except household expenses separate (it's basically the best marriage strategy ever).  

6. I'm really, really, really behind at life work. I've made some headway in the last day, but it's still not clear to me how things piled up the way they did. I wake up at night thinking about everything I need to do. And then I fall asleep and dream about being wanted by the police and needing to go on the run. My dreams have been even more insane than normal.  I should probably add in an extra yoga day or drink more.

7. I hope this Kickstarter project, a book light called Lumio, gets off the ground. 

[Source]

8. My husband and I started watching House of Cards on Netflix and it's pretty dang good. I like politics and he likes David Fincher- it's a win, win.

9. I've decided that I'm not buying books until either the end of the school year or I drop down in the thirties (I currently have 58). I'm sure this will result in a massive book buying binge that will negate the dent I'll have made in my progress.

10. I've started listening to The Happiness Project on Audible while I walk. I'm not a self-help kind of girl, but I am a fan of happiness and getting more of it. So far I've learned that I need to go to bed earlier, organize my house, and stop expecting my husband to thank me for sweeping the floor.

1 comment:

  1. 58 is a lot of books on deck! Wowza! My problem right now is that I've half read 4 books. I just started reading The End Of Your Life Book Club and am loving it. Loving! Alas, I told myself that I can't read any more of it until I finish one of these other less books I'm in the middle of. Well wouldn't you know it, I'm not 20 pages away from finishing a half-read crappy book.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS