Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

Link up below!


1. You'll have to excuse the brevity (and buttload of errors that I'm sure exist since I'm not editing) of this post- I'm frantically trying to finish brilliant Jose Saramago's Blindness for book club tomorrow afternoon. I'm slightly over half-way done, which is better than a few hours ago, but still pretty far away. I feel like I'm in college again (I'm on such a time crunch we're even eating frozen pizza tonight... the first time in like five years), minus the No-Doz and plus ten years.

2. We found out yesterday that we're having a boy. In the interest of full-disclosure, we were sort of hoping for a girl (my husband more so a muppet). But at this point, I'm thankful I even got pregnant and the baby is healthy. Plus, what can you really do? I love the name we have picked out for a boy and it's just nice to know. 

[that's his leg, just so we're all clear]

3. I really wish people would realize that I'm so much nicer in writing. Everyone should just email and text me.

4. Finals week is almost over- today is our last student day. I am still so behind (made worse by the fact I'm reading a novel and not essays) and am a little curious how this will all pan out... I have some serious yearbook work and another round of letters of rec to do as well. It'll all get done... supposedly.

5. Speaking of letters of rec, one of my students got a huge scholarship to Tulane in New Orleans! He has an incredible story and I've been going back and forth with him on letters of rec, possible interview questions, etc... so when he told me today I almost actually cried (it was obvious that he had been). So awesome. 

6. Gary Shtyengart's trailer for his memoir is great:


7. I've never told anyone this, but I have a huge fear of somehow leaving accidentally doing something in my classroom to burn the school down. I know, dramatic and totally not rational. I make sure all my computers are off, no chargers are plugged in, etc... before I leave every day. I'm also like this at home, to some degree. I seriously blame it on hearing stories throughout childhood about my mom and dad's housing burning down while she was pregnant with me. Traumatizing. 

8. Super happy that Blackfish is now on Netflix. Not because it's going to be warm and fuzzy, but because I was going to suck it up and rent it over break. 

9. Every year my mom buys me and my siblings a new ornament- I have one from every year of my life. Today this year's arrived in the mail! She also sent me my Christmas stocking from home- I think this means I'm kicked out of the family....

[made by mom circa 1983]

10. A student gave me a Christmas card today with glitter inside! What the hell? Not a glittery Christmas card, but a card containing glitter. I effing hate glitter. I was probably the only elementary teacher who outlawed in from her class.


8 comments:

  1. I reckon when you're first pregnant you do kind of think you'd like a boy/girl. But then there's nine months of it. And then you have to get it out. And whether it's a boy or a girl is the last thing on your mind.

    In the interest of full-disclosure, I'm quite partial to boys (I have three of them) and boys really love their mums. I mean really, really, really love their mums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeay for a boy! I've heard they are easier to raise, but I might have heard that from woman-haters, so take it with a grain of salt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who the hell just puts glitter in a card? That's super annoying.

    Congrats on the baby boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom gets my brother and I an ornament every Christmas too! I didn't realize it growing up since they all got packed away with the family decorations, but the plan was for each of us to take our "collection" with us when we moved out (except for our first Christmas ones -- those are Mom & Dad's and no one better touch them!) It really was nice to have some of them for our first tree in our first apartment. After years and years of decorating the tree with the same ornaments, it would have felt weird to completely start over -- buying boxes of ornaments from Target definitely does not have the same nostalgia. I'm quite the Christmas sap, apparently...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A BOY!!! Congratulations Miss!

    Full-disclosure, when I first found out I was pregnant, I cried when I dreamt it was a boy [only a dream!?!] as all I knew how to handle was a girl. I needed a girl. Then you ponder, brew, and feel that little bugger in you and it just doesn't matter - boy or girl. And you just fill up with all sorts of crazy love for them. And you learn to play ninja or cowboy or car/trucks/diggers/planes/motorcycles/tractors/anythingthathaswheels because you love that little guy so much. Sappy, sure. But full of truth.
    And gosh, do boys love and cuddle their momma's. It's like nothing else in the world.
    xoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for a boy! I'm having a boy too :) And #2 is pretty much exactly how I felt. Of course I (openly) wanted a girl, but now, at almost 8 months pregnant, I can't imagine it any other way. Plus, everyone kindly tells me there's no bond like that of a mother and her son. But like you said, I'm just happy we even got pregnant without any interventions and just hope for a healthy babe. Little boys clothes are also the cutest!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS