May Reviews

[source]

Next month I will read more. Next month I will stop effing around on my phone while feeding Sawyer and will open a damn book. Next month...

The Last Letter from Your Lover by JoJo Moyes
416 pages
I already review this here.

Verdict: I think I'm done with Moyes.

Walden on Wheels by Ken Ilgunas
320 pages
I already reviewed this one as well (combine: one part lazy, one part not wanting to be repetitive).

Verdict: I really enjoyed this travelogue/memoir of Ilgunas' journey to pay off his student loan debts. The book is thought-provoking, making you consider your own perception of debt, money, and how you want to live your life.

We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo
320 pages
Darling is a young girl who lives in Zimbabwe during a time of extreme political turmoil. Her father dies from AIDS, her mother is often gone, and she roams the streets with her friends stealing papayas from the trees of the wealthy. She sees extreme violence and desperately wishes to move to America. Once she does, though, she realizes that it's definitely not what she hopes it would be (she lives in the poor neighborhoods of Michigan). 

Verdict: I appreciated Americanah more, but this was still impressive in it's own right. 

1056 pages

1 comment:

  1. I had an off month too-where does the darn time go? I did read a couple of really good books in May, but then the rest were pretty much duds sigh...

    Just found your blog and now following through bloglovin :)

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS