Running Update #1

My first half! Pigtails FTW.
Once upon a time I considered myself a runner (or maybe an enthusiastic jogger), and would occasionally write about it here. As I find my way heading back to that hobby I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts as I start out, once again. This is more for me, I have to admit, since I know this is really the content people visit this blog for. I'll be back with something bookish tonight!

1. I don't want to make the same mistakes this time that I made last time. I quit running almost cold turkey a few years ago because we were trying, and not succeeding, it getting pregnant, but mostly because I was terribly burnt out after running twelve halves in like a year and a half or something like that. I was running to maintain endurance, not for improvement. Between the bad foot (an extra bone in one of my ankles), the mileage, and the discouragement I decided five miles into the Surf City Half that I was done. This time I need to train smart and limit my races to one or two a year.

2. Yesterday I got in my first actual run, since the doctor said I could get back to doing whatever I wanted (I'm not sure why I really waited, since I felt fine). Not to brag but I was actually did better than I thought I would. Actually, fuck it, I am bragging. I'm proud of how active I stayed while pregnant and I think I'm reaping the rewards now. I'm keeping to run/walk intervals for now (forever?) and thought I'd be able to only run for a minute or two. I can actually do five or six minutes at a time without getting winded at all. I'm guessing I could do a 5k, or maybe even a super slow 10k, right now. I was able to go for twenty-five minutes before Sawyer had enough of watching me from his bouncer

3. Speaking of Sawyer, I'm working on getting him on a better "schedule" this week so that I can start doing things, including working out, during his naps. Right now he sits in his bouncer when I hop on the treadmill, but I know I can only get thirty minutes, max, until he gets bored. I'm a little nervous, considering eventually I'll need two hour blocks once a week to get in long runs, but that's pretty far down the road. 

4. I have no desire whatsoever to run with him in the stroller,not that he's old enough right now anyway. We have a jogging stroller (not a BOB, just a Graco sport one), but my main intention of getting that was so that I could do a lot of walking with him. We live in a really hilly neighborhood and the idea of pushing 40+ pounds up a hill while running makes me want to shoot myself. I know it would be awesome training, but still not worth it. 

5. I'm debating about whether or not to follow a plan right now. I was going to download C25k (Couch to 5K) or C210K but am hesitant because I'm more than capable of doing intervals on my own... if I stick to it. Sometimes I get overzealous and run too much in the beginning and tank out at the end. Having something tell me what to do might be advantageous. There are also various plans in the Hal Higdon book, but I feel like I need to improve my endurance right now.

6. Speed is not a priority for this training cycle. I'd love to surprise myself with a PR, but it's not going to happen. I need to focus on endurance and just being able to finish 13.1 less than year after having a baby.

7. I've been debating about what half to come back to. Originally I planned on Surf City in Huntington in February, but then last week I heard that RunDisney is doing a Star Wars themed one in January (Darth Vader cheering me on? Please!). My main issue is price- races are pretty expensive and the Disney one, naturally, is twice as much. I love the idea of it (I hate Disneyland, but their races are so great) but I think the extra hundred bucks, and one less month to train, will probably leave me with Surf City. 

8. I don't really like running, although I don't hate it. Why do it? I like the challenge- I like the fact that when I was in seventh grade I couldn't even run a mile straight and now as an adult I can bust out 13.1 (even though this one will be partially walked, as have some of the ones I've done in the past). Honestly, I also love that in terms of calories it's one of the best deals and that I can do it in my house on my treadmill.

9. I plan on run 3 or 4 days a week and then get in a bike ride (on the indoor trainer for now) and maybe yoga at some point (I miss it so, so, so much). 

We'll see how it goes! 

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with getting back into running. Finding the time to run with a newborn must really be a challenge! I prefer swimming, but haven't swam laps in quite a long time. We now have a pool down the street from us and I'm trying to make this the summer I get back into it -- went once and then the weather turned awful, but hopefully things will clear up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a cute picture of you! I like the pigtails! You're smart to listen to your body and anticipate what works best for you. That's why I don't really 'do' any training plans that have me running 5 days a week. I know that I'll just end up quitting all together. Take your time, and you'll be good to go by February!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS