About the Running



On Sunday, February 7th I'll be doing my first half-marathon in three years. In fact, Surf City, the one that I'm doing, holds a very interesting place in my running history. It's the course where I PR'ed (that means set my personal record, for you non-runners that are reading this) and also the one where I decided that I was burnt out and done at, a year later. It was my eleventh half and I thought it would be my last. Apparently, I was wrong. 

I go into my last month of "training" with excitement and trepidation. Part of me is looking forward to spending the night in a hotel room close to the start line by myself, and then being able to get a few hours down by the beach to exercise. If it stops being a running-and-music sort of affair, it'll be a walking-and-audiobook sort of deal. The race expos are always fun to walk around and the energy in the corrals right before the starting gun is palpable (especially when there are tens of thousands of people hopping around, trying to stay warm, checking their Garmins, adjusting their spandex, and testing out their playlists). Runners are a nice bunch and the volunteers are usually a great group. It's a club, there's a culture. Plus, you get a shirt, a medal and a bag of bagels and bananas. If that's not reason enough, I don't know what is. 

But my feelings really are very mixed. My foot is in bad, bad shape. I don't think it will bother me too much during the race with my orthotics (especially if I can sweet talk my podiatrist into giving me some anti-inflammatories to take before), but after is going to be a different story. Right now even doing four or five miles leaves me hobbling around a few hours later, so 13.1 on asphalt is undoubtedly going to be excruciating (I have an extra bone in my ankle that causes swelling and pain, partially due to the over-pronating my collapsed arches cause). I've also trained poorly, but I knew that would be the case when I decided to do this. I walk in my very hilly neighborhood every day and have been running on the treadmill a few times a week. My running mileage is really low, though, compared to what it should be (I should be running at least 20 miles a week right now). I have been incorporating a lot of speed work and fartleks into what I have been doing, so I'm hoping that will help on some level. I'm trying to go into it with no expectations, but it is discouraging knowing that there's no way my numbers will even compare to what I've done in the past. 

I'm also slowly remembering what all goes into running a long race, logistically. I've never, ever run a race without a Garmin, and mine is shot to hell (these are fancy watches that track you via GPS and give you tons of stats). I'm obsessed with numbers and during a race I'm constantly calculating my mile time and projected finish (and whether or not a PR is likely). I don't want to spend a ton of money on a new one, since I'm not sure if this will ever happen again, so I bought a cheap Timex Ironman one that will let me calculate my lap times. I know it's lame, but  not having a Garmin is really bothering me. Scratch that- not lame, downright ridiculous.

I had to purchase a new armband for my phone and have to decide what I'm going to do about fuel and water. I used to run with a fanny-pack sort of thingy that held two water bottles and had a pouch for Shotblocks and my key. For some reason that sounds horrible now (the hip jostling!), but so does going long distances without anything to drink. 

Then there's the weather and the whole "tossing the layers" thing (runners often will wear cheap gloves and jackets they want to get rid of and toss them as they warm up; race volunteers pick up everything and donate them to homeless shelters or other charities that take clothing donations). I always go in willing to freeze for the first little bit, but I'm not sure if I am anymore. 

And here's what makes all this worrying about details that would seem trivial to non-runners: I'm not really even any good, even when I'm truly training and following a plan. At best? Average. But the fact that in elementary and middle school I was utterly embarrassed about my inevitable back-of-the-pack status on mile days, makes me proud that I can finish 13.1 miles at a time now. The fact that I have to work so hard at even being okay is actually appealing to me, and having something to at least half-assedly train for is motivating. Running keeps me in check physically and mentally. And, if I am being honest, I do it to burn calories. I have to do something to burn off the Golden Grahams. 

So, running. I kinda hate it. And I kinda love it.  

6 comments:

  1. Did you always have this problem with your foot (like in your past training and when running races), or is it only more recently that it's been causing you grief? I can't remember if you've mentioned the specifics before or not...

    I don't have much to say except I think your brave for taking this on, and as long as you won't cause any permanent damage in your foot, I'm sure you'll be glad you followed though with this goal. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I found your blog. I'm also a runner who loves to read :) I'm currently on a running break. Running is one of those weird things that you can love or hate depending on the day. It's very strange. I was very into racing for a while, and then I realized I was getting so anxious about training and worrying about race day (Will I get sick? Will my alarm go off?) so I stopped racing. I feel like I'll always be a runner, with periods of not running (like now).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd go nuts without my garmin....and I'm like SLOW. We don't run because we're good at it, we run because we like it. I'm sorry about your foot though. That sounds crappy. But look at you! Running in spite of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we are running twins...though you have done more 1/2s than I have. I love it and hate it, for sure. I do it primarily because it's the quickest way to burn calories and once I had my son, working out had to be quick & effective. I just started using a Garmin this year but since I do 99% of my training indoors, I only get to use my Garmin for races. I know there's some shoe pod thing I could get, but I've read so much about them not being great/accurate. As far as injury, I'm SOOO with you there...I'm still struggling with my right hamstring and now for some bizarro reason, the outer edge of my right foot is bothering me. Ugh. So far I haven't had to be cold and toss layers (lucky) and because I am too chicken to endure that, I ended up signing up for the retreat package for the WDW Princess 1/2 so I can be in a heated tent until moving to the corrals. I also did that though because I will be on my own and being in there (with characters) will be more fun that standing outside w/no one to talk to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just thought of this - if you have a Fleet Feet near you - see if they rent Garmins...the one we have here does and that way you could rent it to use during the 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you all the best. I once made the mistake of running in a race when I had the flu. It quickly developed into bronchitis and I was gone from work for 2 weeks. Be careful. That is the main thing. There are so many ways to hurt yourself and it is just never going to be worth it.

    Freddie @ Dr KurtMeier

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS